I've been pondering this for awhile but today feel like I need to blog about it.
Back in December I heard a commercial on a local Christian radio station. It was a man whose job was to, I kid you not, find mainstream blockbuster potential movies and develop sermon series for "Evangelical" Churches to use. He ended the commercial with his company, whose purpose is to market movies to Christians.
Now, I am all for movies-I love them-and I am even more for using movie clips as analogies or examples or illustrations for life and in sermons, but this is taking it too far. Why is there a need for such a career???
The movie this man was promoting was Rocky Balboa. I haven't seen it, but I would like to see it, but not because as a Christian I should, but because it's Rocky.
There is another movie that is coming out this weekend and it looks amazing. I really can't wait to see it. It is called Amazing Grace and is the story of the fight against slavery in America. But it made me sad when I heard the following promotional line: This is one movie that EVERY Christian needs to see."
Why do I need to see this movie? I don't need to see any movie to Glorify God nor to share His salvation with others.
The last thing America needs is a movie marketer further blurring the message of the Bible with artistic freedom's alloted to director's, actor's and writers!
1 comment:
I happen to think that it's awesome that youre using nerd-mongering as a label, and grant you unrestricted use of it with my blessings. In honor of this momentous occasion, I'll sewing our blogs together.
I got about two hours of sleep last night, can you tell?
Post a Comment