14 May 2007

To be or not to be...that is the question.


I have anxiously awaited for 14 August 2007 for about 10 years now. Ever since I first saw Kenneth Branagh's unabridged motion picture version of Hamlet, I knew that I wanted to own this movie. The only problem with that was that the VHS is 2 tapes long, and the quality is meh. So I decided that I would wait for the DVD. Little did I know it would take so long to be transferred to that format. Every two to three months I would check the official website for news on it's arrival. Not only that but I signed up for notification through Amazon .

Last week, I was sitting at my desk at work and checked my email. The first one was from Amazon, and I was like, ah I'm not buying my Mom something from Amazon for Mother's Day. When I clicked on it to delete it, much to my surprise it was not an ad, it was a personal email telling me that on the 14th of August Hamlet would be available on DVD. I seriously shrieked for joy. My coworkers looked at me with that oh to familiar "you're crazy" look. At least this time, I know that I was not crazy, just happy. So I plan on ordering it so that I can have it right away on the 14th.

I remember reading Shakespeare for the first time in 7th grade. I believe it was an abridged version of Romeo and Juliet. I don't know what it was about the play, but I fell in love with the work of Shakespeare instantly. The bookworm that I am, after reading that play, I went to the library and borrowed as many plays as I could and read them all. By the time I reached 9th grade I was torn between two as my favorites, Othello and Hamlet. I chose to "read" Hamlet again for a book report that year. I remember the computer teacher using it as the example for formatting a play into writing, following it with a snide, "Not that I would ever read this play, it's just the only one I know of." My teacher responded, "Actually, I have a student who read that for this report." That teacher didn't like me too much after that class.

Years later, my junior year in college, I had the privilege of seeing the Royal London Players perform Hamlet at the Guthrie. They had actually performed at Elsnore Castle in Denmark. It was amazing, but alas the performance completely cut out Fortinbras and his conquest.

I can't say it enough, as soon as this DVD comes out, see this movie. No matter your feelings about plays, Hamlet, Shakespeare or movies in general, your life will be touched by the beauty of this performance.

Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move; Doubt truth to be a liar; But never doubt I love.

No comments: