09 August 2010

A New Start

I've never been a fan of New Year's Resolutions. I mean, who decided that you only get to start over on New Year's Day? Isn't everyday a new day to start over in life? Doesn't every sin you commit give you the opportunity to confess and become renewed again? So why should I wait to until some arbitrary day to start something over?

Last night, thanks in part to my awesome Bible Study software, I made myself a plan to get back into God's word every day. I have decided to post about this up here so that it will be public. I need some kind of accountability. Even if that means writing a blog about what I read. So my new plan is all of Psalms in 6 months. I know, I know, most people do the "read the Bible in 1 year plan." I am one of them. Or at least I try to be. I always start the year with good intentions, and plans and yet I always fail. I never feel bad about failing at this, because in my heart I know the intention is there. But I have realized now that the intention is not good enough.

So, my plan - insert synde comment about my plans for me vs God's plans for me - is to following this daily reading plan and then blog about it. Most likely it will be a day behind - for instance, I am writing this and then shutting down the computer for the night and reading Psalms 1 and 2. So, tomorrow I will post about my reflections on these 2 Psalms.

I am also going to start a journey to renew my mind and body as well. I need to get back into shape. I need to exercise daily again and I need to eat only the things that will nourish my body. This is a lot to take on, and I may crash and burn - but I know that I will not feel motivated to try unless I confess this. I can fail privately pretty darn well. I do that daily. But, the fear of failing publically is a really good motivator for me! If you feel compelled to pray for me during this time, your prayers are appreciated. Or, if your spiritual gift is leaving butt-kicking motivational messages, I give you an open invite. Or, if you just want to come and read my blog, that is okay too.

I invite you all along for this journey of self-rediscovery and a new start!

2 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Have you ever tried the Lectio Divina method of reading the Psalms? Read it aloud slowly, repeatedly, pausing here and there, for instance at the stanza. Let your mind go quiet. See what pops uo in your head. Meditate on what pops up. Then pick up at the next stanza and do the same thing. it takes a while to get the hang of it, but I have found it very useful.

Victoria said...

Hmmm.....good idea. I haven't done that lately. During my internship at my church we learned about Lectio Divina and it was great. I'll have to try it out and see how it goes!