I have really been stuck on the message of Psalm 1 this week. Actually, for longer than that, but it has really stuck with me this week.
The part that has really resonated with me is verse 3a:
He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in its season.
On 13 Jan 2008, our pastor handed out a little card to everyone at church and had them draw two pictures on it. In the left hand box a picture that represented the condition of your soul right now and in the right hand box a picture that represented where you want to be. I prayed about it and knew that at that time my soul was like an empty vine. Still attached to branch, but there was nothing but a few sprouting leaves. I wanted to be full of life and bearing fruit so I started to make steps to get that way again. I made it there. And being in God's word and in prayer with Him is so powerful - and the fruit was good.
But again, over time the fruit withered away and I feel like I am that empty vine again. Yet this Psalm reminded me - as long as I stay firmly planted I will bear fruit WHEN it is my time to bear fruit. And forever what reason, right now is not that season in my life. What a freeing thought to know that I am designed to give fruit in season - not all year round. I'm not saying that this gives freedom to withdraw from God, as I still need to remain planted by the stream or in the branches, but I can take rest in knowing that right now the fruit of my life is not visibly growing for all (including myself) to see!
Comparably, Psalm 2 had less effect on me than Psalm 1. It was a great reminder of who Christ is, as it is full of a lot of prophecy, but it did not speak to me as deeply. The one verse that stuck out was verse 12, "Do homage to the Son, that he not become angry." I looked up what homage means, and in this sense/the original Hebrew meaning was to kiss the feet of a leader to show your full submission to them.
At first, I thought of the scene from Gladiator when Commodus offers his hand to Maximus to ask for loyalty. Maximus responds by walking away, but Lucia (Commodus's sister) takes his hand, kisses his ring and says, "Hail Caesar." A very public display of a confession of loyalty. The next thing brought to mind was the woman who washed Christ's feet with her tears and hair. She then kissed his feet. The religious rulers scoffed at her, but Christ commended her because she actually got it. I wonder, if I were in the room at that time, would I have "got it" and known what she was doing by kissing his feet or would I have been like the others and mocked her?
In other news, I went to the YMCA today. It's really nice. I just toured it and then got prices. As a part of the DMC, I can get a membership for only $30.40 per month! That's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me! So hopefully this weekend I can start working out there!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment