There is something I have noticed about my 2 adults stints of living in Michigan. I have had a hard time finding a church that fits me here. Maybe I was just way too spoiled at my home church in Minneapolis to really find something here. But this time around it was almost over whelming.
As I stated in my last post, there are 2 churches I was debating between. Neither one seemed perfect, so yesterday I decided maybe I should start looking for another church. I ended up spending about 2 hours yesterday online looking for other churches in the area. Honestly, I have a bookmark folder with about 20 churches in the area in it. I have 2 new ones that I wouldn't mind checking out, but at the same time, I really would like to settle at a church and get involved. I moved here in June and the last small group Bible Study I went to was at the end of April. In the almost 12 years I have been a Christian, this is the longest I've gone without having a group of people to read the Bible and pray with. So it's been really weird. I just want to jump in and get involved somewhere.
So, last night I decided to go back to the Big Church. I knew that the few times I was there this summer, they had special things going on with guest speakers and people moving. So I didn't want to judge it based on that. Also, like a lot of churches, small groups tend to meet less regularly, so there was nothing going on for the summer.
Again, God spoke to me right away during Worship. I don't care where you worship ME, as long as you worship ME. Today's sermon was great to help me decide. The purpose was a vision summary of the up coming year at the church. The pastor and elders of the church had a vision to reach the entire Metro Detroit area with the news of the Gospel. They have a campaign coming up, and from Easter to Pentecost 2011, over 100 churches and ministries will come together is one voice and just love on the area in the name of Christ! How cool is that!?!?
They introduced this campaign to the church the very first time I went there, and I thought then the same thing I thought today. How could I not be a part of this??? Once the message started, it was just evident that I needed to be there. The pastor said, "Everyone one of you here today needs to decide - today - are you going to be part of us on this journey or not. If not, why are you here?" I'm not saying that I didn't pay attention to the rest of the sermon, but I did spend a lot of time on lists of what I liked/didn't like about each church I have been to here. And some time on what I would be looking for if I went somewhere else.
Then it hit me. The primary thing I didn't like about the Big Church is what I loved about the Little Church. Connections with people. It is IMPOSSIBLE to go to a church of 3000+ people and feel connected, unless you jump in and get involved.
So, I have decided to do that. I am going to jump in and get plugged into a Life Group. Then I am going to pray about what kind of ministry I am going to do there and how to be involved in there outreach campaign.
For those interested in the church and the campaign, here are the links to them:
Oak Pointe Church
Everyone a Chance to Hear (EACH)
No comments:
Post a Comment