15 June 2005

Cathedrals

So in the last week, I have been inside 4 giant cathedrals! They are amazing and trumph just about any church that I have seen in America (sorry Steve). And when I go in it gives me chills thinking about how people have been worshiping our Almighty, All Powerful God for centuries in the exact spot that I am standing. Yet at the same time it makes me so sad to know that the churches are basically empty on Sunday's and have turned into not much more than a tourist attraction. ***Disclaimer*****this is a very broad generalization, not all churches in Europe are like this******

Today for example. My teacher and other classmate and I walked into the main Cathedral in Zagreb. Seriously, amazing! To the left, there is a wall with an inscription on it in the original Croatian Script (dating to around 1000AD). The script was like nothing I had ever seen before. In front of the wall were some sculptures, it was Christ on the Cross with the two thieves on either side and Mary and John knealing below Christ, reaching towards Him. I think it was the most beautiful piece of artwork portraying the crucifiction that I have ever seen.

There were people in the cathedral and some were praying, others were lighting candles, yet it got me thinking. What or who are these people praying to? My prayer for the people of Croatia is that they are praying to Christ and trusting in Him, not the building nor the builders.

Okay, I thought i had more of a thought that was going to come from this, but maybe my brain is fried. i guess you can just enjoy the image of the cathedral I described and pray for the people of Croatia to worship Christ and nothing else!

No comments: