20 June 2005

Swan Lake and Ana Kareninja

So most of you know of my love of Tchaikovski's music. Well on Thursday night I had the honor of seeing the Croatian Ballet Company perform Swan Lake at the National Theatre! The theatre was built under Hapsburg rule in only one year (1895). The building itself was incredibly impressive and then the ballet was even better! I was SO over stimulated that night...the sights, the sounds...getting dressed up all fancy like and being the the 8th row on the floor! What an amazing show!

The best part was that the choreographer took the story of Swan Lake and changed the characters to be real people from the history of Croatia and had it take place in Maskamir Park in Zagreb (hopefully going there on Thursday!). It was such a beautiful performance...words really can not describe it!

On Friday night I went to a small local theatre to see a production of Ana Kareninja in Croatian. Artistically it was great. It was hard to follow (since I don't know that much Croatian yet) but since I know the story it was okay.

So I guess you can say that I had an artsy weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vicki - Sorry, I just read this & I am SO JEALOUS. I can't even imagine seeing art like this in a culture like Croatia, I can only imagine great BEAUTY. What a blessing for you to experience the art, natural beauty, and families of this area before buckling down for the rest of the summer at the camp. I know that will be enjoyable, too, it is just nice to have these simple pleasures before then. I am thinking about your recipe contest, don't worry. I love you! Nicole