26 June 2005

Things I love about Croatia....

Here is a short list of some of the things I have grown to love here!
1. Life is all about having Coffee and Ice Cream with your friends. I still don't think anyone works in Zagreb.
2. In light of #1, there is a kafića or kavina (normal or fancy coffee shop) on every street, corner and square (sometimes 2 or 3 and sometimes there are so many so close you can't tell when one stops and the other begins).
3. There are NO preservatives in any of the food that I have had. Also, bread is baked fresh twice a day, so you can have a fresh loaf for breakfast and lunch.
4. The big meals are eaten at breakfast and lunch and dinner is normally really light.
5. YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR!!!! (unless you are trying to navigate the really really little villages)
6. There are almost as many bookstores as kafićas.
7. People tend to be touchy-feely (ie, lots of hugs and they great each other with a kiss on each cheek).
8. Their is more history in the building I am sitting in typing this email than any I've been in in America...well, maybe not this building, but most of the places I have been are at least 500 years old...each building with its own story.
9. The language is beautiful to listen to...and to speak if you do it right!
10. The music...there is always at least 2-3 people sitting in the main square playing very old and very traditional music (mostly using accordions, violins, cellos, and the traditional instruments of this area)


Now for a few quirks....
1. There are ALOT of mullets over here
2. Men wear Capri Pants and alot of them have man-purses or wear fanny packs
3. I think the only 5 words a Croatian knows is; Da, Ne, Dobro, Bok, and Može (yes, no, good, hi/bye and alright).
4. There are billions of pidgeons!

No comments: