On Sunday I had the incredible opportunity to spend time with a family from Zagreb. First they took me around "Old Town" and I got a COMPLETE history of the town!! It was so great! Perfect tour for history geeks like me! then I went to their weekend house for lunch.
To understand Croatia, lunch is the big meal of the day and on Sundayś nothing is really open. So when we got to their weekend house, her parents had lunch almost ready. Her mom had prepared two salads, bread, and dessert while her father was manning the "grill." We had čivapčići and some other kind of grilled meat. Čivapčići is a spicy sausage-like meat made from a mixture of mutton and beef. It is best served with ljipnja (a grilled flat bread). Seriously the meal was so good. I almost had to be rolled home because I ate so much.
The weekend house has been in their family since their ancestors built it in 1918 to live in as a family. They have kept it preserved in its original fashion. It is located in a little village, going up the side of a mini-mountain, which is covered with vineyards. Every home in that village has it own vineyard, and everyone pretty much makes their own wine!!! Talk about a good tasting wine. In Croatia there are two ways to enjoy wine, čista (straight up) or bervada (with water). My hosts insisted that I try both...and both were wonderful!
I spend the rest of the afternoon talking with their 17 year old daughter so that she can practice English.
It was a wonderful way to spend a day...I could get use to village life here...
No comments:
Post a Comment